What is the root chakra, you say? Some people pronounce it sh-akra and some people use the “ch” at the beginning of the word. Either way, it’s the very first primary chakra of our energetic body. The primary chakras are energy centers corresponding to various physical, emotional and spiritual parts of our body. There are 7 of them. The root chakra is also known as the 1st chakra. It is located at the very base of your spine. It confused the heck out of me when I first starting learning them because I thought the first chakra would be at the top of your body, but nooooo….. you start at the bottom and count up.
Each chakra has a color associated with it. The root chakra’s associated color is red. The chakras are the sources of the colors in your aura. Therefore, if you see red in your or someone else’s aura, you know it’s coming from the root chakra. The root chakra is the foundation of all the other chakras. Here are the areas affected by the root chakra:
- Basic needs for survival. This is your money, roof over your head, food, etc.
- Being grounded.
- General physical health.
- Physical parts and organs associated with the root chakra are teeth and nails, the sciatic nerve and the adrenal glands.
- High emotions
Now, what do you normally associate with the color red? The term he/she is “seeing red” should give you a clue. It’s generally high emotion, sometimes anger, and also high energy. Seeing a lot of red in someone’s aura may mean that they are struggling with high emotions that they need to address and that their root chakra needs to be cleared. If a child or adult is falling frequently or seems spacey or “all over the place”, they may not be grounded well. If a person is challenged with general physical health issues/poor immunity, poor teeth or nails, or has challenges with the sciatic nerve or adrenal glands, their root chakra is likely blocked or out of balance.
Seeing yourself or someone you know in one or more of these descriptions? Wondering how to balance or heal the root chakra? Here are some of the suggestions I give my Soul Session clients or others who need assistance clearing a blocked root chakra.
- For grounding, I recommend carrying a piece of black hematite. It’s a very inexpensive stone and the most well-known for grounding. I also like to do a grounding exercise. On a daily basis or even more frequently on the days you need it, you can do this quick and free exercise to ground yourself. Sit up straight, with your feet flat on the ground. Take a few deep breaths and begin to imagine that you have roots growing from your feet and that you have a beautiful tail growing from your root chakra. They should all be about the size of a dinner plate. Imagine that the roots and tail join together and become one root or whatever receptacle you imagine. (Could be flower vines, magic wand, etc.). This root travels to the very core of Mother Earth and even circles it. Now, just inhale and let Mother Earth’s energy come back to you through those roots. Speaking of roots, another favorite way to ground is to stand next to or even hug trees. You will feel the negative energy leaving your body and you just connect with Mother Earth. Standing outside barefoot is another excellent way to ground.
- Use anything that is the color red to help balance this chakra. Since stones are frequently used for healing, this could be a red crystal, such as garnet or ruby. It could be wearing something with red in it. It can be also imagining the color red in the chakra itself.
- Use essential oils such as Valor, Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood, Cypress or Frankincense.
- Energy Healing can help to clear an especially blocked root chakra.
The root chakra is one I commonly see blocked in the people I work with. Money is a challenging issue that people often struggle with for many years. And especially intuitive people prefer to spend time in the ether, where it’s more fun. Many of my clients are very intuitive themselves so this particular chakra is one I work on extensively. Hope this gives you some ideas for balancing your root chakra. I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.